Today’s Mood Food blog is on the “Zero Awkwardness Beverage Station.” Over the holiday season, it may be important to not consume alcohol or have it in your household – whether it be for yourself or a family member – so here are a couple easy recipes to make tasty drinks with alcohol alternatives!
Make Your Own Flavored Simple Syrup:
- Combine equal parts sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil until sugar has dissolved and syrup slightly thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Pour syrup into heatproof bowl containing a combination of flavoring ingredients.
- Allow to cool completely, then cover and refrigerate overnight for best results. Syrups can store in the refrigerator for up to a week!
- (Optional) You can strain out the solids if you wish-I think it looks pretty to leave them in!
Simple Syrup Flavor Combinations:
- Blueberry and thyme
- Orange peel and thinly sliced ginger root
- Peeled and thinly sliced lemon, orange, and 2 sprigs of rosemary
- Blackberry and sage
- Blueberry and lavender (just a tiny pinch of the lavender or it will taste like soap!)
How to Make Your Drink:
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of syrup into ice-filled water glass
- Top off with seltzer water of choice
- Stir and enjoy!
Beverage Station Tips:
- Lay out 3 different syrups and 3 different flavors of fizzy water along with glasses, spoons, and ice.
- Allow your guests to mix and match flavor combinations
- Provide “drink identifiers” if there will be some people at the gathering with alcohol in their glass (I know you crafty folks can do better than my post-it on a chopstick!)
- Remember to talk openly with your loved one about how you can best support them on their recovery journey. Take your cues from them on how to be there for them, and remember to practice gratitude in the moment.
Peace be with you and yours this Holiday season!